This page was created to assist in orienting new residents to the Town of Standish. We welcome your feedback about its usefulness and/or your suggestions for improvement.
- FairPoint Communications - Customer Service: (207) 642-9911
- Central Maine Power Company - Customer Service: (800) 750-4000; Report Power Outage: (800) 696-1000
- Portlant Water District - (Where public water is available)
- SUNPOWER - Customer Service: 1-800-SunPower
- Emergency Numbers:
- Fire: 911
- Maine Poison Center: (800) 442-6305
- Ambulance: 911
- Police: 911
- State Police: (800) 482-0730
- Standish Fire / EMS - The Fire/EMS Department has their own website. Get facts about the department and photos with details of their apparatus units. For residents with scanners, the Fire/EMS frequency is 154.100 and the state fire frequency, which is used for traffic control at accidents, is 154.310.
- EMS Subscription Information - As a subscription member you will not be billed for emergency ambulance transportation (by Standish Fire/EMS) to the nearest appropriate hospital.
- Town Clerk - The Town Clerk assists residents with car and recreational vehicle registrations, fishing and hunting licenses, dog licenses, voter registration, vital recordsm, and provides information on volunteer opportunities in town as well.
- Standish Transfer Station - The Transfer Station is open only to Standish residents and requires a permit. Find out about fees, hours of operation, and guidelines for use.
- Health Committee for Arsenic in Drinking Water - The Town of Standish encourages all residents with private wells to test for arsenic; it is NOT part of the standard homebuyers water test. Town Hall provides state lab testing kits for $12. Don't know much about arsenic and its serious health risks? Check out our Arsenic Information page for all the details.
- Contact a Town Department - Find the phone numbers and email addresses of all town departments.
- Frequently Called Numbers
- Town Hall Hours - The municipal offices in Standish are located on Route 35 (175 Northeast Road).
- Standish Map and Guide - A comprehensive guide to our attractions.
- Libraries - There are two public libraries in town, Richville Library on Route 114 and Steep Falls Library on Route 113. The Steep Falls Library sponsors storytime for kids, informational workshops, and hosts several community events including an annual Strawberry Festival.
- Regional Transportation Program - The Regional Transportation Program (RTP) in Portland has an easy-to-use website to better inform Cumberland County residents, including persons with special needs, about RTP's wide range of low-cost ride programs.
- St. Joseph's College - Check out our local college, St. Joseph's College, located on the banks of Sebago Lake in the White's Bridge area of Standish. The college has a pool with generous 'open swim' hours for residents as well as water aerobic and other health and fitness classes. For pool hours and programs, visit Standish Rec's Swimming Programs information page.
- Town Calendar - Wondering when the next town meeting is scheduled? Check the convenient calendar for town events.
- Map of Standish - View a very basic map of the town online.
- Post Offices - Standish (04084): (207) 642-4588; Steep Falls (04085): (207) 642-3232
- Early History of Standish - Was Standish always called Standish? What Native American Tribe first inhabited the area? Was there a fort in Standish? This is the place for these and other questions about the history of Standish.
- School Administrative District #6 - SAD6 is currently the largest SAD and the third largest school system in Maine. Our district serves the towns of Buxton, Hollis, Limington, Standish/Steep Falls and Frye Island.
- After School Program - This recreation program, which runs throughout the school year for K-5, includes indoor and outdoor sports, group games, arts and crafts, music, dance, and weekly field trips. Information and registration forms are available at Town Hall or you can register online. Transportation is provided from all Standish Elementary schools at the end of the school day to the After School Program at George E. Jack School, which runs until 5:30 pm.
- Playgrounds and Fields - School playgrounds are open to the public after school hours and all day on weekends, holidays, and school vacations.
- Standish Recreation Department - Standish Rec has a variety of programs and activities for people of all ages. Large community events include the Family Festival in June, Havest Festival in October, and Ice Skating parties during the winter season. Ongoing programs include the After School Recreation Program, Youth Soccer League, Skiing Program, and Summer Camp.
There are several companies that provide local access numbers for dial-up service. Note: Many of the national ISPs do NOT have local dial up numbers in Standish.