Standish is a vibrant but also rural town located Cumberland County, settled in 1750 and incorporated in 1785. Standish is a very popular place to live due to its proximity to Portland, the largest city in Maine, making for easy access to work, major shopping, and cultural events. Both a recreational area and a suburb of Portland, the town is served by Maine Routes 11, 25, 35, and 114. Part of the town is located on Maine’s second largest lake, Sebago Lake. Standish is also home to large wooded tracts of land that allow for snowmobiling trails (connecting to the state trail system), cross country skiing, hiking and hunting. The state has two large game- management areas in the town.
Whether you're looking to grow your local business, or considering relocating here, we can help you identify suitable sites, offer guidance on issues like financing and marketing, and help you navigate the regulatory procedures that might impact your project.
To learn more, contact Standish Town Planner, Zach Mosher at (207) 642-4536.
State of Maine:
Mean Sales Price
|Income and Labor Force|
Avg. Median Annual Income (2014-2018):
|Tax Rate (2019/2020)||$14.30/Thousand|
Business Development and Funding Resources
Maine Small Business Administration (SBA) - Created in 1953, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) continues to help small business owners and entrepreneurs pursue the American dream. The SBA is the only cabinet-level federal agency fully dedicated to small business and provides counseling, capital, and contracting expertise as the nation’s only go-to resource and voice for small businesses. The Maine district office holds events around the state summarizing SBA's services and basic business startup.
Maine Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) - Helps build and strengthen small businesses through business advising, training and educational resources. Certified business advisors provide guidance on topics such as business feasibility, business plan development, capital acquisition, financial management, marketing and sales, e-commerce, customer service, personnel management, small business strategic planning and more.
Maine Technology Institute (MTI) - Founded and funded in 1999 by the Maine State Legislature, MTI offers grants, loans, equity investments, and services to support Maine’s innovation economy. We support new ideas, devices, or methods with the potential to grow and diversify Maine’s economy and increase the number of quality jobs throughout the state through direct support of innovators and through support of programs and infrastructure that encourage innovation. MTI is a nonprofit that is funded by the State of Maine.
Coastal Enterprises, Inc (CEI) - Integrates financing, business and industry expertise, and policy solutions to help grow good jobs, environmentally sustainable enterprises, and shared prosperity in Maine and other rural regions.
- USDA Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) A federal program providing guaranteed loan financing and grant funding to agricultural producers and rural small businesses for renewable energy systems or to make energy efficiency improvements.
- Efficiency Maine - Programs for businesses of all sizes, including multifamily buildings with five units or more and Maine’s largest energy customers.
- Maine Angels - A private equity organization investing in promising and innovative start ups.
- Score Maine - A resource partner of the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA). SCORE Maine provides mentors and business education workshops statewide. Volunteer mentors are experienced business executives and entrepreneurs who volunteer their time to help others start and grow their businesses.
- Maine Center for Entrepreneurial Development - Established in 1997, MCE’s mission is to build and lead a community of growth-oriented businesses in Maine, by providing the training, connections, coaching and mentorship they need to commercialize and grow their ideas, products and services in an effort to drive the growth of Maine’s economy.
- Build Your Business Model - Strategyzer is a tool for building and analyzing business models. Pricing starts at $25/mo.
- Maine & Co. - Maine & Co. provides free and confidential consulting services to businesses looking to relocate to Maine or expand within Maine.
- Greater Portland Council of Governments (GPCOG) - A regional membership organization that provides planning and other services to 25 cities and towns and also serves as a convener for regional leadership. In addition, GPCOG staff members support the governance committees of the Portland Area Comprehensive Transportation System (PACTS), which distributes federal planning and transportation funds in Cumberland and York counties.